Saturday, June 14, 2008

I Dare You



I love watching Izzey become more and more daring with each new adventure. No, really I do! Okay, I'll admit there is a part of me that wants to wrap her in bubble tape before we head out each day. I do, however, acknowledge this is not a good long term strategy. Instead, I opt for reciting the mantra that has gotten me this far - face your fears, face your fears, face your fears. (My second favorite mantra also works in this situation - Kids are more resilient than you think. Kids are more resilient than you think. Kids are more resilient than...)
Today at a new park, Izzey watched an older boy navigate the playground like a mini Christopher Colombus. I could almost read her mind as she watched him climb the wooden stairs. After a few minutes of careful study, Izzey transitioned from army crawling up 3 inch steps on her belly to boldly holding the rail and lifting her foot onto each step. What was the incentive? Maybe a flight down the blue slide? Perhaps the toddler peer pressure got to her? More likely, the incentive was the palpable satisfaction Izzey gets when she realizes she has done it! She made it up the stairs like a big girl. Way to go Me she might be thinking!

I know how she feels. I feel the same satisfaction that I let go enough for her to even try in the first place. Yeah Me too!

No comments: